Link to animated video on this website - hosted on YouTube

The Trans Pacific Partnership

The Trans Pacific Partnership

Apr 1, 2016

A bad deal for Canada, our food and our health by Bobbie Blair   • More than a decade after he was fired from his position as senior scientific advisor at Health Canada for telling the truth, Canadian ‘whistleblower’ Dr. Shiv Chopra is now warning us about a new threat to our health and our food safety: the Trans Pacific Partnership (TPP). In 2004,...

Proton pump inhibitors pose some very serious risks

Proton pump inhibitors pose some very serious risks

Apr 1, 2016

Think twice about taking heartburn drugs DRUG BUST by Alan Cassels • Warning: this column is for people who are taking (or have been offered) heartburn drugs or are considering treatment for heartburn. In other words: most of us. If you develop heartburn or ulcers, there is a good chance you’ll be offered a prescription from the most effective – and...

The impacts of Expo 86 – 30 years later

The impacts of Expo 86 – 30 years later

Apr 1, 2016

by Bruce Mason • It’s three decades since Vancouver sold its soul. Threw future generations out with dirty False Creek water. If you’re 30-something, you missed the mega-party, so it’s ironic, or pathetic, that you’re now paying more than your fair (pun intended) share of the tab. The more you know about ‘then,’ the better you to understand...

The problem with animal research

The problem with animal research

Apr 1, 2016

by John Pranger • Sponsored by the Animal Defense & Anti-Vivisection Society of BC. vivisectionresearch.ca The arrival in Canada each year of monkeys destined for the laboratory shows the entrenched nature of Canada’s R&D community. While the use of animals in medical research and toxicity testing is being scaled back elsewhere in the world – due...

The real poison pill in the Trans-Pacific Partnership

The real poison pill in the Trans-Pacific Partnership

Apr 1, 2016

INDEPENDENT MEDIA by Meghan Sali   • Canadians have many reasons to be concerned about the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP), a massive international agreement that, if ratified, will result in restrictive new rules governing our daily lives, from how we use the Internet to how much we pay for medicine. We already know the TPP will extend copyright terms...

Big Data is spying on our doctors

Big Data is spying on our doctors

Mar 1, 2016

Collected information helps sway doctors to prescribe certain drugs DRUG BUST by Alan Cassels • People often ask me if, given my research on pharmaceuticals, I could tell them why every time they go to the doctor, they always end up with another prescription. It’s impossible to answer that in a sound bite because many factors drive prescribing, including...

StingRays breach cell phone privacy

StingRays breach cell phone privacy

Mar 1, 2016

INDEPENDENT MEDIA by Laura Tribe • What the heck is a StingRay? And what does it have to do with cell phone privacy? You may not be aware that a device named after an unusual sea creature poses a serious threat to your cell phone – but I assure you, it does. A growing concern in the privacy world, the surveillance device nicknamed “StingRay,”...

Time to protect the Great Bear grizzlies

Time to protect the Great Bear grizzlies

Mar 1, 2016

SCIENCE MATTERS by David Suzuki • The agreement between government, industry, First Nations and environmental groups to protect much of the Great Bear Rainforest should be celebrated. The deal makes almost 85 percent of the forested land base in this massive region on BC’s coast off limits to logging. Forestry in the remaining 15 percent will follow...

No to fracking Yes to our future

No to fracking Yes to our future

Feb 1, 2016

NO means we KNOW by Bruce Mason • Are you part of Christy’s so-called “Forces of NO?” If so, congratulations! You’re also saying “YES” to facts, environmental stewardship and a burgeoning renewable economy. “Fear of change?” Nonsense. Another LNG lie. In 2011, when rich elites handed over power to Christy Clark from Gordon Campbell, the...

Netflix to freeze out customer internet privacy tools

Netflix to freeze out customer internet privacy tools

Feb 1, 2016

INDEPENDENT MEDIA by Meghan Sali • When David Fullagar, Netflix vice president of Content Delivery Architecture, announced last week the company would be cracking down on users who employ privacy tools while watching Netflix, you could practically hear the groans reverberate across the globe. The bombshell was dropped only a week after Netflix launched service...